DIALECTICAL BEHAVIOUR THERAPY: PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
16 Nov 2018 – 17 Nov 2018
Friday & Saturday
9:30AM – 4:30PM
Total 2 sessions
Dr. McMain will once again be offering a three-part dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) training in partnership with University of Toronto. All information and registration is available by clicking the link below.
Participants will gain familiarity with the fundamental principles and strategies of DBT for treating multi-disordered individuals. Participants will learn how to maintain a compassionate stance; how DBT’s biosocial theory conceptualizes client problems as arising from a deficit in skills and motivation; and how treatment is designed to help clients strengthen effective coping. Participants will learn how to draw upon “dialectical” philosophy and how to blend a focus on acceptance with change. Participants will be introduced to DBT’s core skills modules and specific skills within each module. A combination of lecture, videotapes, role-plays and question and answer will be used to provide participants with a practical and highly experiential learning environment.
What You’ll Learn
- Explain how to structure treatment according to a client’s level of severity and prioritize treatment targets
- Describe how to enhance motivation and commitment towards specific treatment goals
- Recall different ways of implementing validation
- Sketch the key elements of a chain analysis
- Describe effective strategies that can be used to coach clients in crisis